Burn Antares’ Favourite Tunes
Words by Scenewave Australia - Published on September 12, 2014
Sydney five-piece Burn Antares have a funky, unique sound, a bright blend of ’60s psychedelia and ’70s rock. Single Crystal Love draws on late-Beatles-inspired guitars, a gospel-style backing chorus and a groovy array of beats, tambourines, jangly piano chords and, quite simply, a fun, catchy melody.
Of the single, said front-woman Grace Farris: “I met Janis Joplin in a dream and she gave me the song as a present. I took it to the boys and we worked on it till it was smoking hot. The day before we went in to record, we rewrote the melody so Janis’ estate couldn’t sue us.”
Check out the video here:
We wanted to get inside Burn Antares’ head a little, so we asked guitarist Daniel Murchison to give us some of their favourite songs – and the results are seriously entertaining:
1. My favourite track to wake up to is… Ice Cube, Today was a Good Day. Any day I don’t have to use my AK is gonna be a good day.
2. The best track for cooking is… Earth, Wind & Fire, September. This one gets my lady in a good mood so she’ll chop the onions, no complaints!
3. The best track for spring cleaning is…. Cleaning for me is rare. Cleaning for me due to the change of season is rarer. For that reason, Where is my Mind by The Pixies seems appropriate.
4. The ultimate road trip track is… My friend once made a road trip CD with The Ace of Spades by Motorhead 15 times in a row. The idea was funny, the reality was stressful.
5. My favourite love song is…. Played a show with these legends recently. Love Forever by The Babe Rainbow is one of the best tracks I’ve heard out of Australia in the last few years.
6. The best track for sweet love makin’ is… The whole Superfly album by Curtis Mayfield is a minefield of euphoric funk emotions, but special mention to Give Me Your Love.
7. The track that always gets the party started is…. If Superfreak by Rick James doesn’t get a party started, I don’t want to be at that party.
8. The best track to wind down a crowd is… Winding down a crowd? Who wants to wind down a crowd?
9. My favourite drunken karaoke track is…. Definitely Milkshake by Kelis. I have no idea how the verse goes but when that chorus drops…. The boys come running.
10. I love going to sleep listening to… Fuck Tha Police by NWA – Nothing but sweet dreams.
11. I can’t stop dancing when I hear… The Godfather of Soul wins that with Papa’s got a Brand New Bag – James Brown.
And in terms of the playlist, we’ve got something extra special for ya this week as the band put this one together just for you!